Many of you know that China is very active in CAR cell therapy field. However, it is not easy to track this activity. I made an attempt to analyze CAR cell trials data from China, using All CAR-T Trials dataset from Cell Trials Data. Here are some of my findings.
Until 2010, all CAR cell therapy trials were conducted only in US. The first CAR cell trial in China was listed in database in 2012. Since that time, China made a huge leap in total number of trials.
The figure below demonstrates a relative percentage of Chinese CAR cell trials among US and others countries (click on figure to enlarge):
As you can see, the share of China, among all other countries with CAR cell therapy trials, has progressively increased from 9% (1 trial) in 2012 to 41% in 2015 and to 72% in 2016.
Since 2004, 48% of all CAR cell therapy active trials worldwide are listed in China. Total number of CAR cell therapy trials in China until Dec. 31 of 2016 was 113. 26% of all Chinese trials (29/113) were listed in ChiCTR database, the rest – in NCT database. It means that if you’re mining only NCT database you’re roughly missing 1/3 of Chinese CAR cell trials.
38 academic institutions and hospitals were identified as sponsors of CAR cell therapy trials in China. About half of Chinese trials, registered in 2016 were commercial (company listed as sponsor or collaborator). 17 companies were identified. Here is a list:
- Beijing Biohealthcare Biotechnology Co.,Ltd
- Marino Biotechnology
- Hebei Senlang Biotechnology Inc., Ltd.
- Sinobioway Cell Therapy Co., Ltd.
- PersonGen BioTherapeutics (Suzhou) Co., Ltd.
- Carsgen Therapeutics, Ltd.
- Wuhan Bio –Raid Biotechnology Co
- Keji Biomedical (Shanghai) Co., Ltd
- Union Stem cell & gene engineering Co.
- Wuhan Sian Medical Technology
- Cellular Biomedicine Group
- Shanghai GeneChem Co.
- The Beijing Pregene Science and Technology Company, Ltd.
- Beijing Sanwater Biological Technology Co., Ltd.
- iCarTAB BioMed Inc.
- Innovative Cellular Therapeutics Co., Ltd.
- Beijing Doing Biomedical Co.
Companies like Shanghai GeneChem and PersonGen BioTherapeutics have 8 (each) active trials listed. Thee companies (Marino Biotechnology, Sinobioway Cell Therapy and Wuhan Bio –Raid Biotechnology) have 5 listed trials each.
Also I’d like to mention here some other Chinese CAR cell therapeutic companies, which were not identified in databases:
- SiDanSai Biotechnology Co., Ltd
- Super-T Cell Cancer Company
- Fosun Pharmaceutical (JV with Kite Pharma)
- 3SBio (Shenyang Sunshine Pharmaceutical Co.) (JV with Sorrento)
- JW Biotechnology (Shanghai) Co., Ltd (Juno’s Therapeutics daughter company).
Overall, I’d like to conclude that China is currently dominating any other country in CAR cell therapy field in terms of total number of active trials and supporting hospitals. China also has all “latests” CAR cell technologies in trials, such as humanized scFv, 4th generation constructs, bispecific CARs, 2x CARs (CD19+CD20 or CD19+CD22 or CD19+CD30) in one treatment and so on. You can find information about many CAR cell therapy deals in China, building of manufacturing facilities and results of the trials. So, China is hot! Must follow!